1. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add the butter, working it with your fingers or a fork, until the mixture is crumbly. Whisk together the egg, milk, and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Add to dry ingredients, along with the bacon. Mix until everything is evenly combined (the texture will be a little crumbly).
2. Transfer dough to a piece of parchment or a lightly floured work surface. Pat into a 9-inch square a little over 1/2-inch thick. Cut the dough into nine 3-inch squares. Then cut each square into two triangular wedges, for a total of 18 scones. Place the scones in the freezer on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
3. Combine remaining 2 tablespoons maple syrup with whipping cream and brush on chilled scones. Bake for 12-17 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.
1. Don't overwork the dough! The mixture will be slightly crumbly when forming into a square.
2. Serve these scones with butter and a small drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Total Fat 6g
Saturated Fat 3g
Polyunsaturated fat 0.50g
Monounsaturated fat 2g
Total Carbohydrate 15g